It’s the people we cried on their shoulders, the ones who lifted us up when we felt nothing else mattered. We opened our hearts and built trust with. Spiritual Manipulation can be tough to detect. Most of the time it’s done by people we love or have built reports with. It’s not always done maliciously or intentionally. Manipulation is abuse of power. As I write this post I noticed I have some lingering feelings of hurt on this topic. I need to give to God. I tell you guys all the time I’m not perfect. I love being transparent about my flaws. Spiritual Manipulation leaves major wounds but God can heal anything and everything. Spiritual Manipulation isn’t something talked about openly yet. But I believe it will become more of a conversation as God is unveiling things. If I could go back in time from my painful experience it would be knowing these 3 scriptures. I believe it would have made a big difference. But we go through things in life to learn.
(Acts 17:11-12) examine the scripture and test it against everything. Even if its someone you love asks God.
(Psalm 23:1) Put your full trust in the Lord and depend solely on God knowing that he is our shepherd and we lack nothing
(2 Corthinanns 11:32) One of the spiritual manipulator’s goals is to condemn you. God is not a God of condemnation but he is a God of conviction.
Here are the Red Flags I overlooked:
- Condemnation: Person makes you feel bad because you decided to choose a decision outside of what they wanted for you. They condemn you by saying you are not hearing God properly. Or they try to downplay what you heard from God. And make you second guess your self by saying contradicting things. Making you feel you don’t have a right-standing relationship with God.
- Say You’re Not Committed: When you don’t follow their personal agenda or unable to commit to every single thing they are working on your not committed. Or make you feel like your slacking and they are working extremely hard to be right with the lord. It may even feel competitive at times.
- Define As Being disobedient: When you don’t do something the person would like you are defined as disobedient. There is a huge difference between being disobedient to God and choosing not to do what’s being asked
- Harsh Pusunhiment /Consequences: Because you didn’t do what they asked you they are different towards you.
- Publicly Embarrasses: Don’t think I need to explain this one. You get it
- Excludes You: If you don’t agree with the person they will make you feel like an outcast.
- Separates You From Love Ones: Says your not committed if you are taking time away to spend with family or don’t engage in an activity planned because of commitments outside of church events. Making you feel bad for being connected with people outside of the church. This is with balance of course not saying hang out with people who are a bad influence to your spiritual walk.
- Be-littles You: Making you feel small allows them to feel more in power so they will try to discourage or make you feel like you don’t know anything so you can believe whatever they tell you. God says we are the head and not the tail we above and not beneath. God is not a God who belittles don’t allow anyone to do that to you.
- Changing You: You’re made to feel like being yourself is a sin. Maybe your a slow thinker but the person wants you to be fast on your toes. They say God is fast and wants you to be fast. They want you to be like them or “carry the DNA” of a church. The only DNA we are to have is Jesus not anyone else.
Thank you for reading. Hope it was helpful.
If you have not accepted Jesus in your heart, and you would like to, here is a prayer you can pray. Get connected in a good loving based church.
Lord Jesus, for too long I’ve kept you out of my life. I know that I am a sinner and that I cannot save myself. No longer will I close the door when I hear you knocking. By faith, I gratefully receive your gift of salvation. I am ready to trust you as my Lord and Savior. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for coming to earth. I believe you are the Son of God who died on the cross for my sins and rose from the dead on the third day. Thank you for bearing my sins and giving me the gift of eternal life. I believe your words are true. Come into my heart, Lord Jesus, and be my Savior. Amen. Prayer is from Dr.Ray Pritchard found