” I’ll never allow anyone to hurt me ever again” have you ever said this before? Perhaps you didn’t realize this statement flipped the off switch of your emotions. To say you will never let anyone hurt means you must not feel. We have no control over people hurting us. The control we have is how we manage the hurt. Being super honest we are going to hurt people too. I know I have; because everyone is learning and in learning, we make many mistakes. When we shut off our emotions we become unattached and cold towards people. We dont allow others into our lives. We become very surface level and people cant have deep relationships with us.
When I was 17 years old I remember my family washing their hands clean of me. Because I exposed the darkness of what was happening in our home. I went from having a dysfunctional family to having no family. In this tough season, I turned my emotions off. I would walk away from the relationship instead of trying to mend things. This was a tool I forgot to put down. When I started healing and engaging in healthy relationships. Growing up I never saw my parents address conflict in a healthy manner. Harsh threats, insults and a lot of aggression was my family style of conflict resolution. The more I spend time with God and I read his word I learn how to deal with conflict and how to embrace my emotions.
Keys To Turning Back On Your Emotions
- Pray: Have a conversation with God and tell him what’s really going on. Share the things you are embarrassed or ashamed to tell others.
- Learn how to Address conflict: Saying you never saw your parents can’t be an excuse forever. Learn your style of how to address and manage conflict. Read Matthew18:15-19. God’s word teaching us how to do everything.
- Break The Pact You Made: Many times when we have been hurt we tend to make an unconscious pact like “ ill never let anyone hurt me again. Ask God to reverse the pact you made. We must renounce this. Father, I renounce turning off my emotions and I declare in the name of Jesus you turn them back on.
- Everything is not always OKAY: If you are feeling unease it means it’s your not okay with it.
- Read God’s Word: There is so much wisdom in the bible around emotions. Take the time to read Gods word
- Fast: Take time away from eating social media and things you set your attention on and spend alone time with God. Fasting break issues. Matthew 17:21
- Talk Things out: Express how you feel to others. Dont hold grudges. If you need to write it before you say it that’s okay.
- Fear of Rejection: You must work on addressing your fear of rejection. If you are scared if you speak how you truly feel the person will walk out your life you may not really have the relationship you think you have. There is no Fear in love.
If you haven’t accepted Jesus in your heart and you would like to here’s a prayer you can pray and get connected to a local church.
Lord Jesus, for too long I’ve kept you out of my life. I know that I am a sinner and that I cannot save myself. No longer will I close the door when I hear you knocking. By faith, I gratefully receive your gift of salvation. I am ready to trust you as my Lord and Savior. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for coming to earth. I believe you are the Son of God who died on the cross for my sins and rose from the dead on the third day. Thank you for bearing my sins and giving me the gift of eternal life. I believe your words are true. Come into my heart, Lord Jesus, and be my Savior. Amen. This prayer is from Dr.Ray Pritchard found
-You are loved never forgotten