If you asked me a year ago, do I honor my Mother and Father? I would have given you the meanest 13-year-old sassiest eye roll ever. Then I would have proceeded to give you the grocery list of reasons why I felt my parents were unworthy of being honored. However, the more I learn about God’s love the question doesn’t jab me in my ribs, rather it takes me on a journey to ask God to teach me how to this thin you require of me.
Honor and respected are earned in the world. We hear statements like ” you have to earn respect to get respect” all the time, but God didn’t think like that. God died on the cross knowing we would neglect, uses him, abuse his word and he still died honoring and respecting us. This was not earned by us. So for us to even think someone has to earn our respect and honor to receive it is harsh. And I’m talking to myself here.
Honoring our parents isn’t some choice we can make. It’s something we MUST do. And its something we can do with God’s help. Trust me I know it’s not easy when you think about some of the things you might have been through like molestation, parents on drugs, child abuse, neglect these are things that are hurtful but God made no exceptions when he said Honor your Mother and Father.
This is a list of suggestion on how you can honor your parents. It’s important to ask God he wants you to honor your parents. Everyone’s situations is different. Your parents dont have to be in your life for you to honor them. You can honor from a distance. Did you know that friend?
- ASK God: Honoring people who have hurt you is it not easy, but It cant be done without God so Ask God to change your heart and your mindset. And to guide you Psalm 145:18 ~ The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. (Psalm 145:18)
- Heal: Go through your process of healing. Dont push things under the rug. Tell God everything that hurt you. And he will exchange your ashes for beauty. Allow God to heal your heart.
- Pray: Stand in the Gap for your family. Just because you dont have a day to day relationships doesn’t mean you can’t pray for them. Philippians 4:6 ~ Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. (Philippians 4:6)
- FASTING For Your Parents: Fasting has the power to destroy strongholds people have been battles for years to get over. Like an addiction, Mental Health issues ,bad habits and much more. You can fast for your parents break through. Ask God in what way would he want you to fast. It could be daily, monthly, or whatever
- Speak Good of Your Parents: Listen my adoptive father molested me for most of my life, nonetheless, I can highlight the great qualities my adoptive father had. He was a man who provided for his family. He assured my sister and I lacked nothing material wise. My Adoptive mother failed to protect me however she was an amazing home maker who always made sure the meals were ready when we got home from school. Our clothes were pressed and folded and three tenders headed girls braided every Sunday night. She loved us the best she could. Every opportunity I use to get I would bash my adoptive parents because I hated them. When God moves into our hearts bitterness has to leave and that whats happening.
- Declare the word of God over your parents: Maybe your parents are addicted to drugs or you guys are in a rocky place. SPEAK LIFE OVER EVERYTHING! Speak things as if they were. Here are some examples: My mother will overcome her addiction. My Family will be reunited. God will use my family for ministry. God will break every generational curse over my family. We are a strong united family. Job 22:28 Thou shalt also decree a thing, and it shall be established unto thee: and the light shall shine upon thy ways.
- Community: Community plays a big role in this. I know being a kid who was once in foster care you tend to want to be around people who have similar stories as you. It’s important to be around people with different life experiences so you can learn. Get around people who honor their parents and learn. Be a sponge ask questions. Nothing is silly I promise you. I use to watch mother and daughter heck I still do so I can learn how to honor my parent. I watched my friends who had healthy relationships interact with their parents.
Tell me some ways you honor your parents or would like to honor your parents. As always you are loved and never forgotten.